From: "Esther" <mori...@mac-access.net>
To: "Mac OSX & iOS Accessibility" <mac-access@mac-access.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:23 PM
Subject: Re: can we save visual voice mails

Hi Glenn, Brenda, Chris, and Others,

Visual voicemail is a feature that is offered by certain cell phone
carriers. The voicemail messages are downloaded to your iPhone and stored
locally  on the device.  You access a list of names or telephone numbers (if
there's no corresponding identification matching caller with number in your
contacts) and dates, and you can play any of your selections back.

To answer Brenda and Chris's question, there are a few different Mac
programs that will let you access the visual voicemail.  If Chris picked up
his copy of Toast Titanium 11.0.4 as part of the Fall MacUpdate bundle in
2011, he might have a license to PhoneView, which is one of the apps that
can access visual voicemail data from either iPhone backups or from the
directly connected device.

iExplorer is supposed to work on both Windows and the Mac.  However, someone
on the viphone list tried to use iExplorer and claimed it was not accessible
with either JAWS or NVDA.  It's possible that the Mac version of iExplorer
is accessible.

PhoneView is a Mac-only product that is accessible with VoiceOver.  To save
visual voicemails from your connected device, in the table of items,
interact, then select "Voicemail".  VO-J or tab to the table of voicemails
and select the items you want to copy.  Stop interacting with the table of
voicemails and use Control+F5 to move to the title bar, navigate to "Copy to
iTunes" button and VO-Space to send these to iTunes.  They'll appear with
the date and time in the track name (e.g. "11-7-12 1100 AM Voicemail from
<name of sender>") as 128 kbps AAC audio files with no artist or album name.
(Find them either by looking for a playlist named "Voicemails" or go to your
"Recently Added" smart playlist.)  If you want them in some other format,
use iTunes to convert to mp3, etc.

I did find 3 unlabeled buttons with the PhoneView app, when you select
entries under categories like "Voicemails", "Music", "Podcasts",
"Ringtones", or "Voice Memos".  These are the buttons at the end of the
window for "previous track", "play/pause", and "next track" if you review
the audio tracks listed in the tables.  Everything else seems to be
accessible with VoiceOver.  You can even access your call logs.  PhoneView
can transfer files between your computer and your iOS device, or access
files from your iOS backup files (if your iPhone is not attached to the
computer).

PhoneView is an app by Ecamm Network that costs $29.95.  If you only want to
retrieve files from your last iTunes backup of your device, you might be
able to use a donationware app named iScavenge:
http://www.iscavenge.info/
I don't know whether this app is accessible with VoiceOver.  It lists that
you can retrieve Contacts, Messages, Notes, and Photos from the iTunes
backp.  It might be possible to retrieve visual voicemails.

You can read Christopher Breen's Macworld article, "How to extract voice and
text messages from an iPhone" (October 8, 2012) for more details about
PhoneView. (Use Command-Shift-R to read this in Safari reader.)
http://www.macworld.com/article/2011174/how-to-extract-voice-and-text-messages-from-an-iphone.html

There's a free trial download for this app:
http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/

Jacqui Cheng of Ars Technica did a review of four different apps that can
transfer voicemail, about the same time as Chris Breen's Macworld article.
"Hands-on: Four Mac apps to transfer voicemail, other files from your
iPhone" (October 11, 2012).  She reviewed PhoneView, iExplorer, Touchcopy,
and iBackupBot. (PhoneView is her top pick, but iBackupBot is the budget
contender at $19.95.) The shortened link to the URL is:
http://ars.to/RdBoxd
Again, read this in Safari reader with Command-Shift-R.  The article
mentions that all four products offer free trial demos (with limited
functionality), so you can try this out for yourself.  I haven't tried any
of the trial demos.

Just by way of explanation, a few times a year, certain apps may be be
offered for sale as part of a discounted "bundle".  The MacUpdate Promo site
generally offers such a bundle about 3 times a year.  There are other such
sites that occasionally run promotions like this.  You might be mainly
interested in one or two apps.  The offerings can vary a lot from year to
year.  Typically, they'll offer 9 or 10 apps for a bundle price of around
$49.95. I post any interesting deals I come across. A number of list members
(including me) picked up Nisus Writer Pro when it was offered as part of the
Maclegion bundle in 2011.  (This was the year they released their first
major version revision in several years -- I don't expect this to happen
frequently.)  Often, the total bundle price can be less than the price of
the one or two apps you are most interested in.  Anyway, I had a license to
PhoneView from a previous bundle purchase, so I decided to install it after
this discussion came up
 .  It seems to work pretty well.  You can also use it to extract files,
documents, or recordings that you've created within iPhone apps. It's
probably not something that I would separately purchase, though it does a
very good job of giving you direct access to files on your iOS devices.
Certainly, if you want to save your visual voicemails, this is a pretty
simple way to do so.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther

On May 23, 2013, at 3:26 PM, Glenn wrote:

> I don't even know what a visual voice mail is.
> Glenn

worm-free.  However, this should in no way replace your own security
strategy.  We assume neither liability nor responsibility should something
unpredictable happen.

Please remember to update your membership preferences periodically by
visiting the list website at: