There are a variety of methods which work with different web pages.

My own preferences are as follows.
1. Press command  shift R to see if the page can be interpreted by Reader.
If so you will just get the important part of the text read out. The BBC web
pages are good for this.
2. Failing that I use quick nav and personally use single letter navigation
which you can set in Voiceover preferences.
This provides functionality similar to that of a windows screen reader.
Then what you do is  dependent on the page you are visiting.

Pressing H will jump you to each heading on that page. This is often a quick
way of getting to where you need.

You can experiment with T for tables, G for Graphic b for button etc.
For example on eBay and PayPal sites I jump to where I need to get to
normally by pressing b for button.
On Sainsbury pressing T for table gets me to where I need to go.
If I do not know the site I most often use item chooser.

Supposed I am looking for a story about Walthamstow.
I may come to a page with loads of advert links and stuff I do not want to
review .
I bring up item chooser and  start to type Walthamstow.
Before I have typed a few letters everything on the page I do not want to
read has been stripped out of item chooser and only the elements with
Walthamstow are left.
I review this and can generally hear where I  need to go. Pressing enter
here will jump you to that part of the web page.

The advantage of this over find is that you can read the term you are
looking for in context within the item chooser so you can more easily
identify where you need to go.

David Griffith