Hi Martin,

I think you've run up against the accessibility issues in the Java Preferences
Utility, which is why you can't find options to clear your temporary files.
This issue was discussed on list last year in connection with updates a user
had to run to update Blackboard, and that discussion centered on Lion.
However, the same underlying accessibility issues for using Java Preferences
were true for Snow Leopard.  I've changed the subject line of the post so
people will know this is a general issue, especially for academic web sites of
different sorts that use Java for course materials, and not specific to the
fact that you were using Snow Leopard. You'll find most of the relevant posts
if you search the Mail Archive for this list, and enter a search string like:
from:Esther java preferences
(Case is not important, and when you use the "from:" argument it doesn't matter
whether or not you leave a space after the colon". Press Return to get the
results.)

The first linked post that gets returned, "Blackboard & Java authentication
problems after updates [was Re: technical help]", includes a link to a support
page I found at the time, titled "Troubleshooting Blackboard Java Issues:"
https://elearn.usu.edu/java/java_tutorial.html

I suspect you'll want to refer back to this web page for other related issues,
such as clearing Java certificates.  There's a Safari reader option for reading
this page (Command-Shift-R). If you refer back to this page, you may prefer to
ignore using Safari reader so you can navigate directly to the links for
"Clearing Java Cache", "Clearing Java Certificates", etc. at the top of the
page. In any case, here's the list of instructions pasted from the linked page
on clearing the Java cache:

1. Using the spotlight tool, search for "Java Preferences"
2. Open Java Preferences and click the "Network" tab.
3. Click the "Delete Files" button.
4. When prompted to "Delete the following temporary files," make sure both
options are checked and click "OK."

The basic issue is that there's an accessibility problem with the Java
Preferences Utility such that VoiceOver doesn't see and let you navigate to the
tabs that are present in the normal fashion and there are also issues with
accessing items in the tables on these tabs with VO where you hear "empty
table" even though there is content.  So the immediate answer to your question
about why the Java Preferences utility doesn't seem to have anything to do with
the Java Runtime Environment caches is that you've opened the utility on the
"General" tab, and VoiceOver isn't showing you the tabs for "Security",
"Network", and "Advanced".  If you could navigate to the Network tab, you'd see
a "Delete Files" button with a help tag that this is for deleting temporary
Java files.

The discussion evolved from trying to give instructions on how fix a single
issue to how to navigate to the different tabs, since the user may have to deal
with more than one issue and require access to multiple tabs.  The workaround I
posted was based on using Mouse Keys to move your mouse cursor down from the
title bar of the Java Preferences window onto the tabs.  If you set your
announcements under verbosity in VoiceOver Utility to check the box for "Speak
text under mouse after delay" and set the slider so that this delay is 0, then
you'll be able to hear when reach the tab you want and click it using Mouse
Keys.  This is described in the archived post:
• Moving your cursor with Mouse Keys as an accessibility work around for Java
Preferences [was Re: changing tab group in java preferences using Voiceover]
http://www.mail-archive.com/mac-access@mac-access.net/msg11288.html

Dónal filed another bug report with Apple's accessibility team based on the
discussion posts.  I think the accessibility of the Java Preferences Utility
may still be an issue, but I'm not running Mavericks, so I can't tell. This may
be moot if people are now using  utilities for Oracle's Java releases instead.
I hit this issue back in Snow Leopard whenI had to update the version if Java
that was running. As always, you can read up and down the other posts in the
archived discussion post threads using access key shortcuts, which for Safari
on a Mac are Control-n for the next message in the thread Control-p for the
who has started Safari on a Mac with VoiceOver turned off, his or her access
key shortcuts will be Control-Option-n for the next post and Control-Option-p
for the previous post.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther