Hello Mary, Eileen, and Others,

As far as I can tell from my reading of sites like the reader reports section
of macintouch.com, Plustek support of scanner drivers for the Mac peaked around
2010 when they released those beta versions for Lion, and nothing has happened
since.  This is also borne out by product reviews at sites like Amazon.

One of the reasons that many people use VueScan on the Mac, apart from the
support for multi-page scanning, is that Hamrick Software manages to support
many old devices, or in some cases even devices that were originally designed
to work under Windows, where the manufacturers provide only minimal driver
support.  So for these users the main value of the VueScan software is the
ability to continue using devices that they already have, instead of having to
go out and buying new scanners simply because there is no driver support for
these models, or because it becomes extremely difficult to locate working
drivers, especially for updates in the operating system.  However, there are
limits to what the developer can do in the absence of any support from the
manufacturer since the device drivers are specific to the product. (This
statement also applies to ABBYY's ability to support theses scanners on the
Mac, as well as VueScan's ability to do so.)

A check of Amazon user reviews of the Plustek 3800 is not hopeful. I'll paste
in a review from June 15, 2012 titled "Good luck finding scanner software
support"

This review is from: Plustek OpticBook 3800 Book Scanner (Office Product)
The scanner itself is fine, provided it is on an absolutely level surface
(otherwise it will freeze and produce a "scree" sound until you manually turn
it off). What it has over other scanners is how close the scanner bed is to the
side, so that you can scan books along the spine without having to break the
spine and hold it down with your hands. That said, the real problem comes when
trying to use Opticbook 3800 with other software. I use an iMac 10.7, and while
you can get the Opticbook image capture driver from Plustek's webpage, this
still does not allow for support in Vuescan or any other software program I
tried (and I spent hours on this). You can use the native software, but it is
rather buggy. I lost scans on several occasions because the software crashes.
It feels immature (in fact, I believe it is still in beta). It did work through
image capture on the Mac, but this is rather unsatisfactory.

Having to hit the scan button each time you want to scan a page gets rather
old. It is too bad there is not an option to autoscan (hence, why it is so sad
that it is not supported by Vuescan, which has this feature and rocks-it also
doesn't crash).

In short, I would send it back in a heartbeat-if there were any other book
scanners in existence under the thousands of dollars range. Until then, I'll
have to keep it and hope for some serious software upgrades.

Update: I decided to return this product. It simply felt cheap, the native
software is atrocious (as others note if you do a www search to investigate
further), and it simply doesn't work with Vuescan, at least on the mac. I've
also been in email discussions with Plustek tech support as well as the creator
of Vuescan, who has been trying to get it to work; both have been unsuccessful.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther