Hi Brenda,

Yes, there are apps that will zip and unzip files on iOS devices. But you don't
mention what type of files you are trying to send as attachments, or what the
user ultimately needs to do with these files.  Although there is insufficient
information in your question, my guess would be that instead of an app that can
zip or unzip files, you'd be better off finding an app that works as a download
manager and downloader.  These apps usually have the ability to open a wide
variety of attachments or files transferred via Dropbox or from web sites and
also zip and unzip files. They often allow you to organize the files in folders
or rename and move them within the app.  Very often they will support playing
and bookmarking of media files - even formats that cannot be played when the
attachments are opened in Dropbox. It's hard to be more specific with
suggestions without knowing what sorts of files you want to transfer.  Are
there apps that they have that already capable of supporting
  reading/playing the folders with the file structures you are sending?  It
sounds as though you're trying to pass across file content without knowledge of
what apps at the final destination will be used and how they can handle the
files.

Does the app have to support both iPhone and iPad? (There are some very good
download manager programs that have separate versions for iPhone and iPad). Are
these devices running iOS 7?

I'd experiment with a small, structured attachment file first, or else try
transferring content from a Dropbox account.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther