Hello Paul,

I never got around to finishing my draft post explaining about "Apple Double
Format" files, which is one of the classes of Mac-specific files you refer to,
when this was discussed on list a while ago.  The others are directory files
(.DS_store, and files for Time Machine indexing and trash).

There is a commercial service that sells an app named BlueHarvest for cleaning
up these kinds of files.  A single user license is $14.95 for 3 machines.  The
product web site (including the ability to get a 30-day free trial download of
the program) is:
http://zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/

You need to be running Lion or later.  There's also a command-line tool named
"dot_clean" (without the quotation marks) that you can run from Terminal to get
rid of file with names that start with "._" (without the quotation marks).  The
GUI interface and options of BlueHarvest are probably easier to use and more
comprehensive.

Here's the dot_clean man page linked from the Apple Developer's site, although
you can also use the "man" command I Terminal on your Mac to display the
information:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/dot_clean.1.html

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther