Yes you have it all right there Andy.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Collins" <a...@recreation.plus.com>
To: "OS X & iOS Accessibility" <mac-access@mac-access.net>
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 10:14 AM
Subject: Re: Security preferences and FileVault

Is the username and password the Apple ID? Because other than that, I only have a password log in for my Mac -

Andy
On 24 Oct 2014, at 01:48, Nicholas Parsons <mr.nicholas.pars...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, there was a dialog during setup which asked whether you wanted to turn on Firevolt. At least that was my experience.

FireVolt is great. Without it, it’s surprising how easy it is to get access to someone’s data on their Mac even if they have a password. It’s particularly useful on a MacBook if you don’t want people having access to everything on your Mac if you lose it or it’s stolen. And once you know what the beeps mean at login, the process is perfectly accessible. It’s important to learn what the beeps mean though, as I stuffed it up the first time and had to decrypt and encrypt again. One beep is to type in the user name, two beeps is to type in your password, and three beeps means you are logging in. If you type the username or password incorrectly, it just repeats the relevant beep signal.

You can find an archive of all messages posted to the Mac-Access forum at the list's public Mail Archive:

As the Mac Access Dot Net administrators, we always strive to ensure that the Mac-Access E-Mal list remains malware, spyware, Trojan, virus and worm-free. However, this should in no way replace your own security strategy. We assume neither liability nor responsibility should something unpredictable happen.

Please remember to update your membership preferences periodically by visiting the list website at: