I just tested with the latest Vmware, Fusion latest Yosemite and JAWS and had
no problem moving by word in a notepad file holding down ctrl-left arrow, or
ctrl-right arrow.

I can do this with voiceover on or off.
I could install NVDA and try that if you think that would make a difference?
I am using the keyboard programs Karabiner, and Seil, to remap VO to capslock
and permit the caps lock to be the JAWS key on non-numeric pad keyboards.

-Kevin