[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi again Darren!

I have a similar situation to Gretchen in that I have a Canon printer connected to my XP box that I want to print to from the mac. What little I know of Samba is that it runs in UNIX/Linux environments, right? Is there any hope for me and my OS 9.2.2 mac?

Hi Mike. My OSX knowledge is poor I'm afraid but I think Samba is or can be part of OSX?

As for the Classic OS I use PcMacLan on the pc which does a great job, bit pricey though. I could help you out a little there but my version isn't XP friendly that I know of.

In general I'm not the person to ask about printing, not a strong suite for me as I have very little need. For the household I made the nix box out of old parts and set it to share the printer with macs and pc's using samba and netatalk.
For our use and printers we have, this works fine from anywhere in the house.

There is also Dave for the Mac which appears to be a port of Samba to the classic OS but I'm very unsure of how you might use it. Old versions can be found on the net easily but 9.2.2 might be a stretch.

Please wait for Gregg or another Mike to offer advice amongst others.
Try a cross platform printing search on:
http://www.google.com/mac.html as this may aim your search easier than using the standard google. I have some links, somewhere.

Good luck to you both.