Date sent:              Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:44:30 -0500
From:                   Bob Rankin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                TOURBUS - 02 DEC 2004 - Spyware
To:                     TOURBUS@LISTSERV.AOL.COM

              TOURBUS Volume 10, Number 38 -- 02 Dec 2004
  [ For best results view this with a monospace font like Courier. ]
    _________ ____________ ________ __________ _____________ ___ _
   /         |            /        |          |             /   | \
  |    SIX YEAR ANNIVERSARY JAMBOREE SPECIAL: InkJetsRus   /    |  \
  |__________|__________/__________|__________|___________/_____|   \
 /                                                              |----\
|  Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, hang on to |////|
|  your hat!  We are NOW offering you "3 for the price of 1" on |////|
|  all NEW equivalent EPSON and CANON Inkjet Cartridges. Prices |////|
|  from $6.75 for 3 black and $10.50 for 3 color.               |////|
|         ---> http://www.InkJetsRus.net/tourbus <---           |////|
|  NEW FREE CANON PRINTER.  Three Models to Choose. Phone toll  |////|
|       free for details 888-429-9373 (M-F 8:30 to 5:00)        |////|
\_______________________________________________________________|____|
      /   \  /   \                                             /   \
      \___/  \___/  T h e   I n t e r n e t   T o u r B u s    \___/
         Visit the Tourbus Home Page at http://www.TOURBUS.com !

             TODAY'S TOURBUS TOPIC: Dealing with Spyware

Is your computer running slower than usual?  Has your browser's start
page been hijacked?  Having trouble reaching your favorite search
engine?  Popups driving you crazy?  Most likely your computer is
infested with spyware, the cockroaches of the digital age.  Read on
to learn how to detect and remove these unwelcome pests.

------------------
 Spy, Counter-spy
------------------

A recent audit of 4000 UK firms found the average office PC contains
20 pieces of spyware, including system monitors and trojan horses,
that could put confidential data at risk.  And according to Webroot,
the company that performed the testing, consumers are even worse off,
with an average of 26 potentially malicious pieces of malware.

  MORE INFO - http://www.tourbus.com/spyware-news.html

Chances are, you ARE affected.  So what can you do?

Start with a good anti-virus package such as Norton, McAfee, AVG or
EZ-Armor.  But before you *buy* anything, check with your service
provider -- some of them are offering anti-virus software for free.
McAfee virus protection is now included with AOL membership, and Road
Runner offers their users the EZ-Armor package at no charge.  If your
ISP isn't offering any freebies, check out the free AVG package from
Grisoft at [ http://free.grisoft.com/ ].

  RELATED NEWS - http://www.tourbus.com/computer-virus-news.html

Next, make sure your operating system is regularly receiving security
fixes and updates.  If you use Windows, click on Start->WindowsUpdate
to scan your system for critical fixes.  Mac users can stay up to date
by clicking on Apple->Software Update.

  RELATED NEWS - http://www.tourbus.com/windows-xp-news.html
  RELATED NEWS - http://www.tourbus.com/apple-macintosh-news.html

---------
 Zzzzap!
---------

Even with good anti-virus protection, system updates and careful
attention to those annoying "Do you want to run and install
such-and-such" popups, you can still get hit with spyware.  Some
programs (most notably peer-to-peer file/music sharing) install
others surreptitiously.  Toolbars, download helpers, screen savers
and email icon packages are often bearers of these nasty pests.
And if you have kids, just resign yourself to the onslaught.

My favorite spyware zapper is a free tool called X-RAYPC, which
examines all the processes running on your system and rates them as
Good, Bad or Unknown.  (X-RAYPC was designed as a more functional
replacement for the popular HijackThis! system analyzer.) You can
kill the nasties and delete them with just a few clicks.  I recommend
X-RAYPC only for more savvy PC users because it's a very powerful
tool and you could delete something important if you're not careful.
Check it out at [ http://www.x-raypc.com/ ].

For everyday users, the smartest people I know claim that there is no
single spyware detection and removal program that does the job.  But
if you use both of these tools, you should catch most or all of them:

  Spybot Search & Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/
  AdAware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

RELATED LINKS: http://www.tourbus.com/best_privacy.html

-----------------------
 Share Your Experience
-----------------------

Join the folks who are discussing spyware and viruses in the Tourbus
Reader Forums right now.  I've been very impressed with the way folks
are helping each other and sharing ideas in the forums.

  Reader Forums - http://forums.tourbus.com/

That's all for now, I'll see you next time!  --Bob Rankin

=====================[ Tourbus Rider Information ]===================
   The Internet Tourbus - U.S. Library of Congress ISSN #1094-2238
     Copyright 1995-2004, Rankin & Crispen - All rights reserved

      Subscribe, Signoff, Archives, Free Stuff and More at the
              Tourbus Website - http://www.TOURBUS.com

I'm a MUGWump: My "MUG" is on the Mac side of the fence (since mid-2002), and
my "Wump" is on the PC side (since 1989). I've been on the trailing edge of
computer technology since 1987 and love it! [P.S.] Due to limitations on this
account, please send binaries to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> and a confirmation note
here.