On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 22:52:21 -0700, Gregg Eshelman wrote:

>I just finished cleaning (as in laboriously manually tracking down and
terminating) a very nasty new breed
>of ad/spyware.
>
><snip>

Thanks for the warning Gregg - that brings back unwelcome memories. Last
year I agreed to help a friend get rid of some spyware, arrived early
afternoon expecting to spend a few hours and ended up leaving about
midnight in defeat :-(

Fortunately we discovered the Computer Cops forums (now called CastleCops
<castlecops.com>) and with a bit of hand-holding from one of the experts
there managed to clear the machine 24 hours later.

On the plus side, since web surfing on his machine was virtually
impossible during our attempts at sorting the problem (adware forcing the
browsers to the same page, etc.) I was able to demonstrate my adware/
spyware/virus-free iBook :-)

Neil