Hi!

Quoting Gregg:
> Go to PC Exchange or File Exchange control panel and find the checkbox to load
> drivers at boot for DOS/PC formatted SCSI devices.

    Thanks to Gregg, I've made progress.  The Mac LC III no longer wants to
format thr SyQuest cartridge.  But the logic that allows an MS/DOS format
SyQuest cartridge to be mounted is not as smart as the logic that allows an
MS/DOS 1.4 MB floppy to be mounted.  Example: given a directory named
"unsorted" containing a file named "BinHQX.BXY.DOCS.txt".  When this directory
is copied to a floppy, the directory name and the file name are displayed on
the LC III as listed above.  But when this directory is copied to a cartridge,
the directory name is displayed on the LC III as "UNSORTED" and the file name
as "BINHQX~1.TXT".  In other words, the driver doesn't know about extended file
names.

    The above paragraph reports the results of a test made with a single file in
a single directory.  The first cartridge I tried had 250+ files, totaling over
16 megabytes, in the "unsorted" directory.  On the LC III a display of the
 "unsorted" directory showed only one file.  That file disappeared when I
clicked on the left arrow button in the lower left corner of the window.  A
really weird side effect was that a file from in the system folder suddenly
appeared on the desktop.

    Suggesions, anyone?

Willi