On Jun 14, 2006, at 6:09 PM, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

William Ove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Mostly I was just wondering if this list was still active.

I got networking going under DOS the other day. It was mostly just an
accident, but it was a first  for me. Networking has worked fine with
Windows, but getting it going with DOS has alway eluded me. This is
using and PM8600 and an OrangePC 530.

bill

How did you get it working? It's eluded me too.

Well that seems to answer that, the list is alive.

I have to say that I do not know how networking became active. I worked a long time to get DOS networking going without success. The 8600 ended up being loaned out for a "for as long as you need it" spell and the DOS card was pulled. My software and the "DOS C Drive" image was burned to CD for archive.

The 8600 returned a couple weeks back. An 18GB 50 pin SCSI hard drive, a 10/100 PCI network card, a 128MB RAM stick, and a CD burner awaited it. So it was setup, a fresh install of 9.0.4 was done and archived items were put back. After checking everything else out, I finally got around to seeing if the DOS card was working.

The card ran fine and when I fired up the Anarche web browser I was stunned to see it was actually connected to the web and useful. It is using the same configuration files that did not work a year ago, but the whole install is on a different hard drive, and using a different network card.

In any event I am using DOS 7 (I think it is an MS DOS ripped out of the heart of Win98). The base of the networking is based on the DOS networking software that came from Orange PC, with a third party TCP stack. My first guess is that perhaps Apple's built in networking hardware does not properly support the DOS/OrangePC drivers and the reason for success is the third party network card it is going through now.

It will no doubt be this weekend before I get a chance to take a better look, but I can report back my specific DOS drivers. I can probably also post my autoexec.bat and config.sys and network config too.

bill