Basically I'm just trying to reduce the clutter on the hard drive.

In Safari: History (in the top menu bar) > Clear History.
Then: Safari > Empty Cache.

In Mail: Mailbox > Erase Deleted Messages > in all accounts.
Mailbox > Erase Junk Mail.

I also empty the Desktop Trash.

But don't take any of this as gospel... as I said, it is probably
superstitious overkill. Software updates just seem to me to be a good
time to do some general house-cleaning.

Alex