First and most important, Dave: which version of Netscape?

The NAV shield you see when using Netscape just means that it's checking
the various html and image files you're downloading for viruses. Nothing to
worry about. Similarly, there's nothing to worry about with the disk
activity; it just means that Netscape's not finding image files in cache so
it's downloading them as you access new pages. (I'm assuming here that
these are pages that you don't access often or repeatedly - otherwise, you
may have a caching problem that may be resolved by allotting some
additional disk cache space in Netscape preferences.)

The freeze issue is another matter. If it's happening on the same pages
over and over, it's very likely that there's something in the code on those
pages that isn't compatible with Netscape but is compatible with MSIE
(cascading style sheets, for example, are a problem in that more CSS 2.0
standards than not aren't recognized by Netscape). In that case, you may be
out of luck re: using Netscape - just one of those things. You may also
want to take note of whether you're accessing sites that use Java server
pages (they'll have the extension .jsp at the end of the URL) - Netscape's
implementation of Java has always been pretty awful and it may be failing
to handle them or exhausting its Java memory allotment and hanging. Giving
some more memory to Netscape may resolve, or at least delay, the onset of
the problem. You might also try reinstalling or updating Netscape if none
of these issues seem to apply.

If you continue to have problems with Netscape in this fashion and still
want a second browser option, you might also try Opera for Mac. It's free
if you don't mind it displaying ad banners and works pretty well. Downloads
are at www.opera.com.