Harry,

In answer to your questions:

1) Apple has no intentions of updating AW. When the Mac OS takes its  
next major leap forward (maybe out of the cat family and into  
cetacea), I'm pretty sure AW will no longer work.

2) While I don't have any very complicated AW SSs, I can drag and drop  
the ones I have onto the Numbers icon in the Dock and they open in  
Numbers just fine. Then I just Save As xxxx.numbers.

Likewise I can convert my AW database files to AW SS and drop them  
onto Numbers and the open as Numbers. Of course numbers is a SS and  
not a DB, so it is somewhat limited when compared to a database.

I like iWork because it is reasonably priced ($79) and coordinates so  
well with iLife. Of course if you don't use iLife...

Slowly I am weaning myself away from AW. (AW will always have a warm  
spot in my computer's heart.

Anne Cartwright





On Oct 29, 2008, at 1:11 PM, Harry Jacobson-Beyer wrote:

> At last night's LCS meeting I posed a couple of questions about  
> Appleworks:
>
> 1) would Appleworks continue to work in future versions of the OS -  
> the
> answers ranged from I don't know to probably not.
>
> 2) I then asked if iWorks Numbers would import Appleworks spread sheet
> (and I don't remember the answer)
>
>
> So this morning I opened one of my Appleworks spreadsheets with lots  
> of
> formulas (especially if-then formulas)
>
> I saved it as an EXCEL Mac 98, 2001, X, 2004 Spr. (you have to  
> add .xls
> at the end of the file name)
>
> I was able to open the file in Microsoft excel for the Mac but some of
> the values didn't register (all though all my totals were correct)
>
> Next I drug the .xls spreadsheet into NEO Office and voila, everything
> works exceedingly well!
>
> So I am in the process of moving all my Appleworks Spreadsheets to Neo
> Office (which, btw, is a free program).
>
> Harry
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> The next Louisville Computer Society meeting will
> be October 28 at MacAuthority, 128 Breckinridge Lane.
> Posting address: [email protected]
> Information: http://www.math.louisville.edu/mailman/listinfo/macgroup
>


_______________________________________________
The next Louisville Computer Society meeting will
be October 28 at MacAuthority, 128 Breckinridge Lane. 
Posting address: [email protected]
Information: http://www.math.louisville.edu/mailman/listinfo/macgroup

Reply via email to