I recently purchased a used G5/1.8GHz/mint condition for the kids for  
$400.00. If I were you I'd either go that route or put your money  
towards a new iMac. Refurbs start at $999.00 at apple.com.

Greg

On Oct 30, 2008, at 1:15 PM, Richard Nevels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  
wrote:

> I am new to this group so please excuse any protocol violations. I own
> a Powermac G5, 1.8 dual processor, purchased in January 2005. Recently
> the machine went haywire, with crashes, problems with starting, etc. I
> took it to the Apple store for diagnosis ($85) and possible repair.
> The verdict is a bad logic board, but possibly bad processor(s). The
> cost at the Apple store was $900, E'lan Technologies (recommended by
> the Apple Store) was $700, and MacAuthority wants approx. $700. There
> is one place in Fremont, CA, DT&T Computer Services, that will do the
> entire job for $595, and that includes return shipping, with a 6 month
> warranty on repairs and parts. All others provide the standard 90 day
> warranty.  While I have swapped out HD's, memory and I am pretty
> comfortable working inside the Powermac, replacing a logic board is, I
> think, beyond my expertise. According to Élan Technologies there are 
>  4
> possible logic boards for my model, so ordering the correct board
> would be the first problem. The costs of some of the logic boards on
> line cost $600-$700. So, I'm looking for a little advice. If you have
> any experience with MacAuthority, E'lan Technologies, other repair
> services or burned out logic boards in a PowerMac, please respond.
>
> Richard Nevels
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Nevels-Lowe Photography
> http://kyphotoblog.blogspot.com/
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> The next Louisville Computer Society meeting will
> be October 28 at MacAuthority, 128 Breckinridge Lane.
> Posting address: [email protected]
> Information: http://www.math.louisville.edu/mailman/listinfo/macgroup
>

_______________________________________________
The next Louisville Computer Society meeting will
be October 28 at MacAuthority, 128 Breckinridge Lane. 
Posting address: [email protected]
Information: http://www.math.louisville.edu/mailman/listinfo/macgroup

Reply via email to