On Oct 30, 2008, at 2:03 PM, Richard Nevels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I am new to this group so please excuse any protocol violations. I own
> a Powermac G5, 1.8 dual processor, purchased in January 2005. Recently
> the machine went haywire, with crashes, problems with starting, etc. I
> took it to the Apple store for diagnosis ($85) and possible repair.
> The verdict is a bad logic board, but possibly bad processor(s). The
> cost at the Apple store was $900, E'lan Technologies (recommended by
> the Apple Store) was $700, and MacAuthority wants approx. $700. There
> is one place in Fremont, CA, DT&T Computer Services, that will do the
> entire job for $595, and that includes return shipping, with a 6 month
> warranty on repairs and parts. All others provide the standard 90 day
> warranty.  While I have swapped out HD's, memory and I am pretty
> comfortable working inside the Powermac, replacing a logic board is, I
> think, beyond my expertise. According to ?lan Technologies there are 4
> possible logic boards for my model, so ordering the correct board
> would be the first problem. The costs of some of the logic boards on
> line cost $600-$700. So, I'm looking for a little advice. If you have
> any experience with MacAuthority, E'lan Technologies, other repair
> services or burned out logic boards in a PowerMac, please respond.

Richard,

Don't do it!

Don't buy a logic board. Buy a whole computer. There are plenty of
used _working_ 1.8 Dual G5s out there for about the same price as that
logic board. for instance, this one:

<http://www.megamacs.com/main/index.php?action=view&pid=104339&BL=1>

Also if you're going to spend that kind of money, why not go Intel. Do
you really need all that expansion or do you just need speed. Even a
brand new $700 Mac Mini would be faster than that (well, maybe not
with PhotoShop). Also, if you were additionally in the market for a
large screen you can do a _lot_ worse than the $999 24in Intel iMacs
that they have at MacAuthority.

Depends on if you _really_ need the expansion slots. You're a photog,
so I can imagine you might, so a used "cheese grater" could be the
ticket. If not, I'd go with an Intel processor for greater forward
compatibility. Greg's idea is also good: refurbs on the Apple online
store.

j.

ps. BTW, welcome to the group!

Mac Users = Geeks With a Sense of Style