Thanks to Ed, David, and Neal for responses to my query.

Answers to Ed's questions:

*Type of Mouse*:  Oops.  It's a Microsoft 5000.  I hope that's not the
problem.  But Jobs apparently approves; it's for sale on the Apple On-line
Store.  If that's the problem, blame my wife; she bought it (with the best
of intentions.  Note also that she's dedicated to Macs.)

I*f in System Preferences Bluetooth is on*.  Yes.

*And the mouse is on?*  Yes.

*Do you have a Cell Phone with Bluetooth to check the computer and see if it
works with it*?   My wife has an iPhone with Bluetooth, but we don't know
how to "check with the computer."  Can you elaborate?

Can't easily go to Oxmoor Apple Store.  We live near Bowling Green.  There's
an Apple dealer in town who also does repairs, but I don't think it's an
official Apple Store.  Good people, however, who do good work.

Apparently Snow Leopard upgrade is not absolutely free.  I went to the link
and it says upgrade is $9.99 to current Leopard owners.  That's still a
great deal.  Having read various macgroup posts on pros and cons of Snow
Leopard, I'd appreciate knowing its virtues and what problems I might
encounter.

To David:

Not sure how to "reassign" Bluetooth after deleting it from Bluetooth
prefs.  Suggestions?

To Neal:

I have checked the top icon.  Bluetooth is on. Can't find a serial number on
my Microsoft mouse.

The mouse works fine with my desktop PowerMac, and as I mentioned in my
original post, it worked for a while with the MacBook.  Final question:  is
the Apple Extended Warranty worth $250?  I had it on a previous Mac and
never needed to use it.  Be that as it may, neurologists say my life
expectancy is 3-5 years; I may expire before the warranty does :>)   (But
I'm betting the docs are probably wrong!)

Thanks again to all,

Nolan Porterfield