So what this the email address a company email address?

>From their reply they are expecting you to download a real old version of
>Internet Explorer that is unsecure.
This is the response of a totally clueless IT person. I can access the company
email with Safari If I ever wanted too.
Which I don't since I work 7 days a week and today will be working 13 hours
straight.

From: macgroup-boun...@erdos.math.louisville.edu
[mailto:macgroup-boun...@erdos.math.louisville.edu] On Behalf Of Wendi Williams
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:56 PM
To: macgroup@erdos.math.louisville.edu
Subject: [MacGroup] Email settings

Hi, Group,

I'm trying to add a new email account to Apple Mail (v4.3, snow leopard), but
have not been able to make it work. I can receive, but not send mail. It's a
POP account (I don't really know what that means). The tech person responded
with this info:

"I believe your problem may be that the company, Appriver, which hosts the
company email, uses a Microsoft Exchange server.  The above link is considered
an OWA (Outlook Web Access) path into the Microsoft Exchange server.  With
this, you have to use a Microsoft product to obtain full functionality of OWA.
Please download and install Internet Explorer for MAC.   Here is the link:
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Internet-Utilities/Internet-Explorer.shtml
Once you have installed Internet Explorer, you should be able to send emails
using Internet Explorer."

My first thought was that Internet Explorer for Mac saw the end of development
years ago. Does anyone have suggestions? I really don't want to have to log
into their on-line web service!

TIA,

Wendi