Harry, 10.5.8 is like a century and a half ago in computer years. The current
Safari won’t run in 10.5. The newer versions are more secure and have more
features. YouTube has more HTML 5 video, that the older browsers didn’t know
what to do with. Back then you HAD to have Flash, but lately most are getting
away from that.

That machine will run all the way to El Capitan. I think he’d like it better if
it was upgraded.

It’ll be a big job, though, because it’ll need to go to 10.6 with a disk or
other installer before he can access the App Store to get El Cap.

It should be worth it to him. He’ll have way less problems like what you’re
seeing. For a couple more years anyway. It already won’t run Sierra.

There is one more glaringly obvious option, though: buy a new Mac, and have a
“Genius” move his data for him. Way easier, but, yes, it’ll cost a fistful of
dollars.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Fletcher