> On Aug 6, 2017, at 11:21 AM, Harry Jacobson-Beyer <harr...@me.com
> <mailto:harr...@me.com>> wrote:
>
> I’ve identified all of my devices on my network in Who’s on my Wifi.
>
> I have one device I can’t identify. In safari I entered the ip address for my
> router (ATT Uverse router).
>
> Searching through the router I found the Mac Address I can’t identify in
> Who’s on my WiFi and it’s labeled “Local Host.
>
> Can someone please explain what this means?

On most operating systems localhost is the internal network address of the
local computer. It usually lives at ip 127.0.0.1 in IPv4 and ::1 in IPv6. Your
router is probably running some form of Linux (most do), so you inherit the
standard Linux localhost. (Actually, in IPv4, any address starting with 127
will resolve to localhost.)

The localhost address is used internally by the operating system to talk to
itself via what’s called the loopback interface.

L^2

---
‌Lee Larson‌
‌leelar...@me.com <mailto:leelar...@me.com>‌

‌How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible,
whatever remains,however improbable, must be the truth? ‌— Sherlock Holmes
‌The Sign of Four‌

‌‌‌