I disagree with Charles and Schooner. I used console access for years and I
have had enough of it. I am tired of typing long lines of console entry to
avoid the conveniences of a good gui interface. There are many features
available in a good gui that help avoid carpal tunnel syndrome. I think the
HDMI interface should be enabled by default. You can run MachineKit via ssh
on another machine with decent 3D acceleration but having a gui interface
on the DE10 still has value. If you want to talk about slow go back to a
2mHz Z-80.

You can avoid a half a billion lines of gcode by using a code generator
that uses subroutines where possible instead of straight inline code.

Alan