I started with the 5/16-18 and switched to the T8 which is the way to go.
I'm still using Jessie.
I've run both locally as well ssh'ng from my Linux laptop over USB as well
as over a network. It seems that the ssh'ng over USB has been my go-to
method lately.
.
I had started with gantrykins and manually homed and then switched over to
trivialkin[?] using the auto homing and deracking that Charles Steinkuehler
developed for a probotix mill.  I've been extremely pleased how well that's
working.  I have have both branches in my git repo.
 If you use my config please let me know of any issues.. I want to move
that into the machine kit repo eventually.