Why ROS2, well, basically because it is being developed with RT in mind
<https://github.com/ros2/ros2/wiki/Real-Time-Programming>. I'm rather new
to ROS, but the current communication scheme does not seem fit
<http://wiki.ros.org/ros_control/Ideas> to be closely integrated with
machinekit.  But thanks a lot for the links (really) I will read on later.