Chris Albertson writes:

> On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 3:16 AM, Alexander Rössler
> <mail.aroess...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> (Phase 3)
>>> My understanding is that if I want to get a physical MPG working, I would
>>> need to install a RT kernal and build machinekit on the RPI since there is
>>> no precompiled binary to read the physical pulse generator.  Is this
>>> correct? (No clue on how to do that yet, but I'm hoping by the time I get to
>>> this point it will make sense.)
>

> I'm trying to understand the above.   What is the goal?
>
> You want to place the RPi inside the hand held box?  This seems like
> total over kill.   I am also building a hand held control box with an
> LCD screen and fid that even an Arduino is more than good enough
>
> My roadmap is a little different, hardware first.  I want physical
> controls, a big dial and an LCD screen.  I'll build that first.  To me
> the ergonomics of the controller box is the most important thing.  It
> has to be easy to use.   The functionality of the box is 100%
> determined by software so I can change that but the physical design of
> the box has to allow things like the ability to press a button with
> the thumb while holding the box in either hand and the LCD must be
> readable by those older than 40 years old looking through cheap
> plastic safety goggles.   I expect to go through a few versions of the
> physical box.    But a Pi seems total over kill and worse, it uses
> over one amp of current.   Going wireless would require lithium
> battery.   I've not decided on a processor, likely ARM-M0
>
> I do like the solution of just using a cheap Android tablet but I also
> like the big rotary dial

Ah, I thought that this is what you are trying to achieve, I did not
question the meaningfulness of using a Pi for this purpose.

Just saying, if you are targeting just a few units of your device then
one of the < 10$ Linux computers (CHIP, Orange Pi Zero, ...) with WiFi
and Bluetooth might be even more economic than an Arduino - especially
when it comes to development time.

Personally, I'm all in favor of using Android to create a nice looking
pendant app. I have also created a pendant smartphone app with jog wheel
and physical vibration feedback:
https://www.roessler.systems/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/screener_1514997231493.png
you can read more on my website: https://www.roessler.systems/

Unfortunately that's not open source, but you get the idea.

--
Alexander