On 15/05/18 08:29, fairbanks-john wrote:
I just made a fresh install from the git hub clone today and wondering if I did something wrong since there are a lot of warnings and notes in the installation log which I have attached.. The .hal file I have used before for testing fails to complete loading at the below error message:

This bit of the print clearly shows the problem is with your config, which we have no details of

/home/cnc/machinekit-dev/configs/cnc1/cnc1.ini:81: executing 'import sys
sys.path.insert(0,"python")'
PythonPlugin: Python  '2.7.12 (default, Dec  4 2017, 14:50:18)
[GCC 5.4.0 20160609]'
emcTaskInit: using builtin interpreter
/home/cnc/machinekit-dev/configs/cnc1/cnc1.ini:81: executing 'import sys
sys.path.insert(0,"python")'
PythonPlugin: Python  '2.7.12 (default, Dec  4 2017, 14:50:18)
[GCC 5.4.0 20160609]'
is_callable(__init__) = FALSE
is_callable(oword.on_abort) = FALSE
is_callable(oword.on_abort) = FALSE
/home/cnc/machinekit-dev/configs/cnc1/cnc1.ini:81: executing 'import sys
sys.path.insert(0,"python")'
PythonPlugin: Python  '2.7.12 (default, Dec  4 2017, 14:50:18)
[GCC 5.4.0 20160609]'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/cnc/machinekit-dev/bin/gmoccapy", line 30, in <module>
    import hal_glib           # needed to make our own hal pins
  File "/home/cnc/machinekit-dev/lib/python/hal_glib.py", line 20, in <module>
    from machinetalk.protobuf.message_pb2 import Container
  File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/machinetalk/protobuf/message_pb2.py", line 16,
in <module>
  File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/machinetalk/protobuf/nanopb_pb2.py", line 26, in
<module>
TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'syntax'
Shutting down and cleaning up Machinekit...

Run an axis_mm sim, and I expect it will run perfectly, the problem is with your config / gmoccapy / python

syntax='proto2' has been in there for 2 years
https://github.com/machinekit/machinekit/blob/master/src/machinetalk/proto/src/machinetalk/protobuf/nanopb.proto#L8

but I don't use python, protobuf or gmoccapy, so can't help there, other than wonder why your path to the machinetalk/protobuf files is completely different
They should be in

/home/cnc/machinekit-dev/lib/python/machinetalk/protobuf

Are you using files from another build?

Warning:  Logging appears to be not working

          Found rsyslogd configuration and /var/log/linuxcnc.log
          exists, but a test did not appear in the log.
          Please investigate.

Makefile:842: recipe for target 'setuid' failed

This occurs as it says. Sometimes the rsyslogd daemon has died, the linuxcnc.log has the wrong permissions and cannot be written to, or similar. You also do need to check that the setuid part worked, but there is no indication it did not when realtime was started