Schooner I think that I pushed a wrong buttons while posting and messed
things up a bit. I got a new computer and build a new configuration since I
think the old machine may have gotten corrupted while attempting to solve
issues. I will rebuild it later. Machine kit loadsrand runs now but I'm
confused on how machinekit handles Mesa bit files. I have read that they
need to be placed in a folder somewhere as a txt file which confuses me
more since a bit file that is loaded into a Mesa FPGA board is not a text
file.

Here are the steps I used to install this new installation using Debian
9.4.0 stretch.

# Desktop computer with run in place
$ installed Debian 9.4.0 amd64 stretch cd1 free only version
$ su usermod -a -G sudo "my user name"
$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv 43DDF224
$ sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://deb.machinekit.io/debian stretch main' >
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/machinekit.list
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install linux-image-rt-amd64
$ reboot
$ cd /home
$ git clone https://github.com/machinekit/machinekit.git machinekit-dev

===============================
# in machinekit-dev folder
$ debian/configure -r
$ sudo mk-build-deps -ir
# say yes to install depends
$ sudo apt-get install dirmngr
$ sudo apt-get install git dpkg-dev
$ sudo apt-get install devscripts
$ sudo apt-get install python-avahi
$ sudo apt-get install python-dbus python-dbus-dev python-dbus-dbg
# some in the above line may not be required
$ sudo apt-get install python-glade2 python-gtkglext1 python-gtksourceview2
$ sudo apt-get install python-vte
$ sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends devscripts equivs
$ sudo apt-get install memlockd  # may not be required
# the above line may not be required
$ cd src
$ ./autogen.sh
$ ./configure --with-rt-preempt --enable-build-documentation
$ make clean  (only if needed to completely make fresh version)
$ make
$ sudo make setuid
$ ../scripts/check-system-configuration.sh
$ sudo cp rtapi/rsyslogd-linuxcnc.conf /etc/rsyslog.d/linuxcnc.conf
$ sudo service rsyslog restart
$ sudo cp rtapi/shmdrv/limits.d-machinekit.conf
/etc/security/limits.d/machinekit.conf
$ sudo touch /var/log/linuxcnc.log
$ sudo service rsyslog restart
$ cd ..
$ . ./scripts/rip-environment
$ export DEBUG=5
$ machinekit /home/cnc/machinekit-dev/configs/cnc1/cnc1.ini

# gmoccapy gui comes up ok but its  version is too old to be usefull