On 27/02/2014 12:16, Paul Taylor wrote:
On 27/02/2014 11:50, Andrew Thompson wrote:

On Feb 27, 2014, at 6:10 AM, Alan Bateman <alan.bate...@oracle.com> wrote:

The JDK does include the AppleScriptEngine but is missing the service configuration file that is needed to locate it. There is a bug open for this but it does raise the question as to whether the JDK really needs to bundle this scripting engine or not.
I think the issue here is right now a lot of customers still have at least some fragments of Apple's Java 6 installed which makes this work.

As more machines come to exist which have only ever had Java 7 or greater on them we'd see this issue more often, unless it is fixed.

Right now I think this masking makes it impossible to estimate how widely used this engine is.
This is a terrible slip up, I assume you do java builds on clean machine so I assume you don't have a single until test for checking talking to Applescript engine.

I dread to think how many potential customers have tried my application and given up when it fails to update iTunes ( a key part on of the appilication for many OSX users), and Ive been unaware

Paul

I wanted to replicate the issue before fixing so I renamed /System/Library/Java/Extensions/AppleScriptEngine.jar and libAppleScriptEngine.jniLib but it stills works.
I searched the whole hard disk and couldn't find any other copies
What do I need to do to make it fail ?

Paul