Hello,

As far as we know Apple has deprecated OpenGL on MacOS platform
(https://developer.apple.com/macos/whats-new/).

Unfortunately, this decision greatly affects our products that based on Java
Client technologies. So, we (here at JetBrains) decided to start a project to
replace OpenGL rendering on MacOS platform with a new one based on Metal. This
is a huge task, so we  decided to leverage current rendering architecture that
is used in OpenGL rendering pipeline on Mac.

That’s why we didn’t use MTKView for representing AWT windows (that probably
would be a better approach in the long term). Currently we're using
CAMetalLayer within AWTView. We’ve implemented flat color shape/curve rendering
so far and there is a lot of work to do. So, we’re looking forward to any
collaboration.

In the mean time I’d like to share our current work to discuss metal pipeline
architecture at the early stage of work.

Here is the webrev with our on going development:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~avu/JDK-8220154/webrev.00

Best Regards,
Alexey