On Jan 3, 2014, at 10:14 AM, "Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [V]"
<di...@niehs.nih.gov> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can I use both ethernet ports on my Mac Pro to make local network backups
> faster, or at least to keep local network backups from slowing down internet
> use?

Maybe the second, but the first is much more doubtful.

Networking tends to use connection-based routing.  You use the best way to get
to a target address, not all possible ways.  There are ways to "bond" two paths
together that are available on higher-end routers, but the Mac won't do this by
default and may not even have the geek-level commands to specify it at all.  In
fact, the Mac determines "best" way by port order in the Networks panel, not by
speed -- if you have Airport higher than Ethernet, it will connect everything
over Airport and leave ethernet totally idle.

For example, turn on both your Airport and your ethernet port and stream music
or a movie.  Disconnect the "preferred" port (as per port order).  Watch the
stream abort, even though there is a perfectly good recovery path available.

--
  Macs R We -- Personal Macintosh Service and Support
    in the Wickenburg and far Northwest Valley Areas.