Apple Mail caches a sort of table of contents for all of your mail messages in
a sidecar SQL database. It does store the actual text of your mail, one file
per message, but the database is faster, so it usually just reports what it
finds in the database. In some cases of migration, depending on the tool you
used and how successful it was, the files get moved over but they're not merged
into the database. The rebuild process basically rescans the original, raw text
files and reassembles a table of contents of them into the database.