Hi,

I just wanted to follow-up on my original post.

Several people recommended Brother printers, and that is what I ended up
getting.  I decided to get a mono laser printer rather than a color laser
printer.  For one thing, I already have a color inkjet printer.  Also, it seems
that there may be more possibilities for something to go wrong on a color laser
printer; the cost of replacing media is pretty high; and the price of a good
one is probably a lot higher than for a good mono.

Specifically, I bought a Brother HL-2280DW.  I looked at the HL-2270DW (just
printer), which is very popular and highly rated, but I ended up getting the
HL-2280DW (print/copy/scan) for the same price.  I did not really want another
all-in-one (since I already have an inkjet all-in-one), but the HL-2280DW is
really low profile, mainly because it does not have a paper feeder.  To me, it
appears to have the same specs (and maybe be the same printer) as the
HL-2270DW, except for it being a few inches taller because of the scanner (it
maybe adds 3" in height, but does not change the footprint).

The Brother HL-2280DW has auto-duplex and allows both wired and wireless (and
USB) connections -- I think the DW means "duplex" and "wired" (I don't know
what HL means).  I looked briefly at a few HPs, but I did not like their looks
as much, they did not have auto-duplex for those in the same price range, and
they appeared more flimsy.

If anyone is interested, the list price for the Brother HL-2280DW is $200, but
it's on sale for $100 this week at Staples.  Other places have them from $130
to $150.  It may be discounted because a newer model is probably coming out
soon.  They just released a new version of the HL-2270DW (I think it's the
HL-2360DW), so perhaps the HL-2280DW will also be updated soon.

I have used it for 2 days, and so far it seems pretty good.  My main complaint
is that the output is not as easy to grab as with a plain printer.  If you care
about the scanner/copier features, this seems like a great deal.  If you do not
care about those, it might be better to go with the HL-2270DW (or HL-2360DW),
since the lack of a scanner allows one to access the output much easier.  I
will probably stick with the HL-2280DW, but I wanted to point out this one
minor inconvenience.

It was very easy to set up in Mavericks.  It was recognized in the printer
module of System Preferences and the drivers were downloaded when I selected
it.  I also set it up on my wife's iMac running Mountain Lion.  This was not as
simple, since I had to go to the Brother web site and download drivers (and
figure out where to find them when installing the printer manually), but I
eventually got it working just fine.

Thanks to all who made suggestions.  I appreciate your help.

Gregg