So my external 500 GB drive is giving me I/O errors. I'd like some advice,
other than "throw it away".

In the past, when I had drives directly attached inside the computer, I could
do a low-level format, and generally had good luck letting that solve errors.

This is a USB drive. I don't know how to do a low-level format.

I don't know if a simple "Flush and re-write" will solve things. I know that
hard drives have spare sectors for mapping bad sectors, so I'm assuming that
this is a read error somewhere. But the only thing the kernel tells me is
Mar 28 11:11:29 keybounceMBP kernel[0]: disk1s2: I/O error.
Mar 28 11:12:02 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Mar 28 11:12:02 keybounceMBP kernel[0]: disk1s2: I/O error.
Mar 28 11:12:35 --- last message repeated 1 time ---

No indication of which block ID, what kind of device status flags, etc. I have
never had a unix kernel report so little information. There is no
/var/log/kernel.log (10.9.5), so there's no place to look for more details.

My current "best" thinking is to force random writes to the whole disk (there's
a diskutil command for that), and if that works without errors, and a read of
the disk (cat /dev/rdisk1) works without errors, then whatever happened is
probably "transient" enough to resume use of the drive.

I do have a time machine backup, so excluding the concern of files suffering
bitrot on the backup drive, I'm good -- nothing is lost. This drive is USB
powered, so it's nice to have with a portable laptop.

Advice? Anyone?

(I have no idea how to read the smart status of the drive. I'm assuming it's
actually maintained in the drive, but I don't know of a tool to report the
smart status of a USB-connected drive)

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce