Drive Genius has a “Scan” tool that destructively writes and reads every block
on a drive, and will map all the bad blocks out (assuming any spares are still
left).  This may or may not solve your problem, depending on what your hardware
problem actually is.

The other bad news is that the last time I ran this over an external 500GB
drive (FireWire 800), the estimated time to complete was 11 days.  Of course,
as Murphy would have it, the system got rebooted to install updates after five
days, and all the time spent on the job was out the window.