Give that man half a cigar.

I had my doubts it was a bad cable, since iTunes had no problems backing up and
syncing my device during the same work session.  However, I tried another cable
and it worked.  In short order, I discovered that the problem wasn't the cable,
but the USB port on my Mac — both cables worked fine in the left one, and both
cables failed in the right one.

Looks like I need to turn off the laptop, hit it with some contact cleaner and
a q-tip, wait for it to dry, and reboot.  Hopefully either the reboot will
reset the port or the cleaning will have a positive effect.

It's bizarre that a USB port could go back such that iPhoto and Image Capture
would fail on it, and yet iTunes and iMazing would work with it.

Thanks for putting me on the right track.