The same app serves as both client and server in that it can be used in either
direction.

The way "both ends" apps work is that when you set them up for "unattended
access" on the server side (which means creating a private password), they
start up when your Mac starts up and call into a central server with a
permanent unique ID (which they show you when you set them up). You type this
ID into the client at your end, it calls into the central server, communicates
with your server machine, which asks you for your password, and you get in.
These apps don't require port forwarding because the connection handshake is
done in the developer's server, not via direct Internet protocols. Since "both
sides call out" to the central server, no holes need to be poked in the
router's NAT table.