On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Frank Nospam wrote:

> When I twiddle with CPAN (1.5.2) it says I should get 1.5.9.

It's late now, but could you have skipped this step?

>  What steps am I doing wrong, and how do I fix it?

Error messages would help, as would the commands you're trying...

>  Also, Apple says that with their default Apache running,
>  I should be able to use the default CGIs. However,
>  http://localhost/printenv returns a 404 for me.
>  What's going wrong?

Well, I have that document in

    /Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables/printenv

which should probably map to a URL such as

   http://localhost/cgi-bin/printenv

depending on how Apache is configured. Apache's main config file is kept
at

   /private/etc/httpd/httpd.conf

If anything keeps going wrong, take a look at it. You should have the
following blocks in that file:

    # ScriptAlias: This controls which directories contain server scripts.
    # ScriptAliases are essentially the same as Aliases, except that
    # documents in the realname directory are treated as applications and
    # run by the server when requested rather than as documents sent to the client.
    # The same rules about trailing "/" apply to ScriptAlias directives as to
    # Alias.
    #
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables/"

    #
    # "/Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables" should be changed to whatever your
ScriptAliased
    # CGI directory exists, if you have that configured.
    #
    <Directory "/Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables">
        AllowOverride None
        Options None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

If you don't have that or something like it, let us know.

--
Chris Devers

"People with machines that think, will in times of crisis,
make up stuff and attribute it to me" - "Nikla-nostra-debo"