The version of MacPerl lagged behind the current release of Perl - I was
constantly porting stuff and finding out that modules like HTML::Table
wouldn't work because it required capabilities not in the MacPerl release.
To someone who was not constantly trying to develop Solaris and Mac Apps in
parallel might not have been so frustrated. As soon as MacOS X 10 was
released, I went to using the unix version because of this frustration - but
I really missed the Mac "goodies", especially when developing for Mac end
users, most of whom are graphics artists in my shop, and not at all
interested in the Terminal app, and aren't interested in anything but
"Macish" apps.

My Unix users are engineers and GIS professionals and are much more
comfortable with the command line.