I really don't have anything much to contribute to this - merely more
questions to add to the pile

>     % grep -i failed tests.out
>     pragma/warnings......FAILED at test 303
>     lib/db-btree.........FAILED at test 0
>     lib/db-recno.........FAILED at test 51
>     lib/posix............FAILED at test 11

Well, as per the notes on upgrading to 5.6.1, these tests are known and
expected to fail, and apparently (or so the list told me when I asked)
without any harmful effects.

I went ahead and upgraded but did so 'manually' rather than using CPAN.
Nor did I try to make it install in anywhere other than the default
location. I took the approach of, well if Apple's upgrade breaks it I'll
reinstall at that point. [0] It installed perfectly for me - I didn't
even need to reinstall any modules. Why not try and reinstall as per
http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg00895.html?

>     @INC:
>        /System/Library/Perl/darwin
>        /System/Library/Perl
>        /Library/Perl/darwin
>        /Library/Perl
>        /Library/Perl
>        /Network/Library/Perl/darwin
>        /Network/Library/Perl
>        /Network/Library/Perl
>        .

This bit concerns me though. Why are paths getting doubled up. My @INC
has the same symptoms (duplicates marked with *):

> @INC =
> /sw/lib/perl5/darwin
> /sw/lib/perl5
> */sw/lib/perl5/darwin
> */sw/lib/perl5
> /System/Library/Perl/darwin
> /System/Library/Perl
> /Library/Perl/darwin
> /Library/Perl
> */Library/Perl
> /Network/Library/Perl/darwin
> /Network/Library/Perl
> */Network/Library/Perl
> .
> /usr/local/apache/
> /usr/local/apache/lib/perl

Does it matter? And if it does, how does one go about manually editing
the @INC list? Moreover what is the difference between

/System/Library/Perl/darwin
/System/Library/Perl
/Library/Perl/darwin
/Library/Perl

It all seems rather opaque and though I have had a fair amount of
success (often after endless headbanging) I am not getting a clearer
idea of how things work :(

[0] Sorry - I went off on one here. Left in purely if someone (unlike
me) has something constructive or coherent to say on the subject...

This was mainly because I went through the motions of setting up CPAN
but as it was unclear to me exactly where stuff was going to end up, I
pulled out. Frankly I'm uneasy enough about using Fink since it allows
you next to no input on configuration of the apps to be installed (and
my no doubt ill-founded perception of the CPAN module is the same). In
fact I'm a little tired of these competing methodologies and trusting to
blind luck that they will gell together and just work - because they
often just don't. Is it unreasonable to ask people to work to get the
basic releases working for OSX first rather than forcing people like me
without the necessary debugging skills to depend on these monolithic
"thou shalt install the version we have made and proven to run and you
shall install every dependency that we deem necessary" third-party
solutions. If that's the case why not just release binaries?