[careful, cross-posted to two lists]

Fink wants an update. I try to let it. Here's what I get:

dpkg-deb -b root-fink-0.9.10-1 /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/base
dpkg-deb: building package `fink' in
`/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/base/fink_0.9.10-1_darwin-powerpc.deb'.
ln -sf
/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/base/fink_0.9.10-1_darwin-powerpc.deb
 /sw/fink/debs/
rm -rf /sw/src/root-fink-0.9.10-1
dpkg -i
/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/base/fink_0.9.10-1_darwin-powerpc.deb
Reading version
This is Mac OS X 10.1.3
(Reading database ... 63404 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace fink 0.9.9a-1 (using .../fink_0.9.10-1_darwin-powerpc.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement fink ...
Setting up fink (0.9.10-1) ...
Re-executing fink to use the new version...
Reading package info...
dyld: perl5.6.0 Undefined symbols:
_PerlIO_getc
_PerlIO_putc
_Perl_PerlIO_read
_Perl_PerlIO_write
_Perl_sv_2pv_flags
Reading package info...
dyld: perl5.6.0 Undefined symbols:
_PerlIO_getc
_PerlIO_putc
_Perl_PerlIO_read
_Perl_PerlIO_write
_Perl_sv_2pv_flags

....at which point selfupdate fails and I'm back at my prompt.

I *did* have a misfired Perl upgrade a month or two ago, and this is the
same symptoms that that gave me when trying to do things like use CPAN.pm.
So on one hand, this isn't a total surprise to me by now. The bigger
question is, how serious is this problem (both for Fink and for Perl), and
how can I get Perl to recognize these symbols?

Does anyone know if OSX 10.2 is going to have a Perl upgrade (in which
case I'll try to sweat this out), or if Perl 5.8 will be out soon (in
which case I'll try to sweat this out), or if those upgrades aren't going
to be ready any time soon and even when they are ready this problem is
going to keep them from working right (in which case I have little choice
but to try to work this out now).

Sorry, I think this was a little more vague than I meant for it to be...

:/

--
Chris Devers                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Apache / mod_perl / http://homepage.mac.com/chdevers/resume/

"More war soon. You know how it is."    -- mnftiu.cc