In article <p05111a37b9248135ce12@[203.47.34.3]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter N Lewis) wrote:

> At 18:57 -0400 5/6/02, Rick Frankel wrote:
>
> >so, adding:
> >     .PHONY: install
> >
> >at the top of the (gnu)makefile will force the install target to
> >execute.
>
> Presumably that would be a NOP on any other makefile anyway (unless
> someone ever went "make .PHONY" which is probably a reasonable
> acceptable risk ;-).

.PHONY is not just a GNU make thing anyway; I know dmake uses it (we use
it in the MacPerl Makefile, which uses dmake), so that makes it even
less likely.  There are also multiple .PHONY declarations in perl's
Makefile.SH already, including one for the "install" target, so I
imagine it is used on other *make, too.  From my generated Makefile on
Linux:

.PHONY: install install-strip install-all install-verbose install-silent
\
        no-install install.perl install.man install.html

So I dunno what the deal is ... maybe the problem is that .PHONY is a
no-op on Mac OS X's make?

--
Chris Nandor                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://pudge.net/
Open Source Development Network    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://osdn.com/