On Friday, July 26, 2002, at 12:54  PM, tsackett wrote:

> Is there a known limitation to how many lines or characters that eval
> can handle in Mac OS X?
>
> I have created a system where a Perl script, running on a client
> machine, executes task scripts written in Perl sent to it by a server.
> The client script reads in the entire task script, then uses eval to
> execute it.
>
> Normally, this works fine. However, Mac OS X runs into a segmentation
> fault when it tries to eval one of my large scripts. The segmentation
> fault happens when the script is larger than 1100 lines. The script
> works fine on Windows, Linux, and Solaris.

One possibility is that the script is running out of stack space:

% limit
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        6144 kbytes
stacksize       512 kbytes
coredumpsize    0 kbytes
memoryuse       unlimited
descriptors     256
memorylocked    unlimited
maxproc         100

You might try upping the stacksize limit.  Or it might even be the
datasize limit.
Edward Moy
Apple Computer, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

(This message is from me as a reader of this list, and not a statement
from Apple.)