On 11/14/02 9:08 AM, "Tim Grant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 11/14/02 11:21 AM, "R. Hannes Niedner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On 11/14/02 7:07 AM, "Tim Grant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks who have more than 1 Perl on their system might like to now that
>>> BBEdit (apparently) reads the shebang and acts appropriately.
>>>
>>> That is, now you can use the "Check Syntax" feature, and the correct install
>>> of Perl will check the document. I didn't see that feature in their
>>> literature, but it works.
>>
>> I guess that does not translate into checking against the Perl on the other
>> side of the SSH tunnel?
>>
>> /h
>>
> If you're interested in walking me through this a little, I'll try it out.
> I've only used ssh in the Terminal.
>
> -Tim Grant
> DBA, Knowledge Express

If walk through means explain what I mean here it goes:

Most of the files that I edit on my Powerbook reside on a Sun Host befind a
firewall that does not allow insecure traffic (telnet ftp, etc.). To access
them via BBEdit's FTP open remote function I establish an SSH tunnel that
allows me to pipe the FTP through the firewall like:

    ssh -L 2025:remote.server.edu:21 remote.server.edu

I can then establish an FTP connection in BBEdit using the local port (of
the tunnel)    127.0.0.1:2025

The question is in the context of the Shebang line but also of remote CVS
check in and out.

Someone posted that BBEdit would now read #! /which/perl/shall/I/use
And checks the syntax against that Perl installation. I was wondering
whether BBEdit would be so smart to see that a file actually resides on a
remote server and would then test the perl script syntax against the remote
Perl installation.
The CVS question was already asked in a different mail, but basically can I
use the CVS running on the remote server from within BBEdit?

I hope I explained that ok?

Best/h