At 05:55 PM 11/19/2002 -0700, Doug McNutt wrote:
>At 16:30 -0800 11/19/02, Heather Madrone wrote:
>>I've already encountered a few text file anomalies on OS X. Most GUI applications
>>seem to default to Mac-style text files (linefeeds only),
>
>I think that's returns only for Mac style. Don't be fooled by MPW's and perhaps
>MacPerl's redefinition of \n and \r in the reverse sense from the rest of the world.

Yes.  ASCII 13.  \015.  ^M.

>I recommend use of linefeed only - ASCII 10 - for all future work in perl.
>BBEdit has no trouble with that. If you're even a little bit involved with
>moving perl scripts to some UNIX server where your web pages are based
>you'll find that your scripts move effortlessly with any kind of file transfer.

Makes sense to me.  The input files are more problematic.
I don't necessarily know whether they will be created on the Mac
side of the house or the Unix side of the house.  It sounds like
I'm going to have to replace $FileHandle->getline with something
that can handle either kind of line break.

>-->  There are 10 kinds of people:
>     those who understand binary, and those who don't <--

This is one of my favorite jokes.

Heather Madrone  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  http://www.madrone.com
Reality: deeper than I dreamed.