On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 07:22  PM, Ken Williams wrote:

On Friday, November 22, 2002, at 10:42  AM, Gary Blackburn wrote:
There's a good discussion on plists and Netinfo, but the book also says that Netinfo is going away in favor of traditional /etc files
What? I thought NetInfo was supposed to be a step forward, and that people liked it. It's really going away?

-Ken
From Page 42:

"In Mac OS X 10.1.x and earlier, the system was configure to consult the Netinfo database for all directory information...However, in Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar), NetInfo functions more as a legacy protocol. Instead of being a major player in the directory services world, NetInfo's role has been reduced to that of the local directory database for machines that are not participating in a network-wide directory, such as Active Directory or OpenLDAP. NetInfo is still present on Mac OS X systems, but you can perform most configuration tasks by editing the standard Unix flat files."

Can't speak to how popular or well-regarded NetInfo is, but there you go... the book is a "Recommended Title" from the Apple Developer Connection, so I'm assuming the authors are speaking the truth...

---
Gary Blackburn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]