In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wiggins D'Anconia) wrote:

> There is some discussion of this issue in the docs, check out:
>
> perldoc perlport

Note that perlport does not discuss this issue -- executing a non-native
text file with perl -- at all, really.

> I guess the real question I have is does Perl on OS X qualify as MacPerl
> or Unix perl ... I defer to the mac os x experts, but would guess Unix perl.

MacPerl is perl for Mac OS.  Mac OS X is not Mac OS; they are two different
operating systems.  perl for Mac OS (MacPerl) uses Mac newlines, perl for
Mac OS X ("Unix" perl) uses Unix newline.

But back to the point: there's been some discussion in this threa on
workarounds, but my personal feeling is that this is a bug, or at best a
broken feature, in perl.  Some time ago, the capability was added to perl to
recognize and filter CRLF files to work on Unix and LF to work on Windows
(grep for PERL_STRICT_CR in toke.c).  However, this functionality was not
extended to CR files, as it should have been, IMO.  OK, so I am a little
bitter about it.

The last discussion about how to deal with this was on p5p in July: