hello jking,

I too am having difficulty getting AxPoint to build... I did get libiconv
linked however... the problem is in the Text::Iconv perl module..
you need to hack the Makefile.Pl file like so (assuming you have your
fink stuff in /sw):

use ExtUtils::MakeMaker;
# See lib/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm for details of how to influence
# the contents of the Makefile that is written.
WriteMakefile(
    'NAME'         => 'Text::Iconv',
    'VERSION_FROM' => 'Iconv.pm', # finds $VERSION
    'LIBS'         => ['-liconv'],   # e.g., '-lm'
    'DEFINE'       => '',     # e.g., '-DHAVE_SOMETHING'
    'INC'          => '-I/sw/include',     # e.g., '-I/usr/include/other'
    'dist'         => {COMPRESS => 'gzip', SUFFIX => 'gz'},
);

 The critical lines are the 'LIBS' and the 'INC'
lines.  These tell the module where to look for the c iconv stuff.
After you do this, you should be able to build XML::SAX and
XML::SAX::Writer (after Text::Iconv).

Now my problem is I can't get the damn pdflibs to build (from
www.pdflib.com). Well, I can get the C libs to build, but fink does:
configure --prefix=/sw --with-zlibs --with-pnglibs --with-tifflibs,
but using external zlibs and pnglibs automagically turns off the ability
to build the perl bindings.  So if you do configure without, and then make
you get the following message:

./libtool --silent --mode=link gcc  -o
libpdf.la -rpath /sw/lib -version-info 2:3:1 ../pdflib/libpdf_.la
../png/libpng.la  ../tiff/libtiff.la ../flate/libz.la -L/sw/lib -framework
CoreServices -framework ApplicationServices      -export-dynamic -lm
ld: ../pdflib/.libs/libpdf_.al(p_stream.lo) illegal reference to symbol:
_deflate defined in indirectly referenced dynamic library
/usr/lib/libz.1.1.3.dylib
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[1]: *** [libpdf.la] Error 1
make: *** [pdflib] Error 2

which really pisses me off, because the zlib and the pnglib which come
with pdflib actually build and work, but those -framework flags include
/usr/lib and bugger things up.  but it seems like the thing can't find
it's internal zlib and pnglib.

I've installed the binary versions (I have no idea how they compiled it),
but if you use their built perl module, you get a "www.pdflib.com"
watermark across the page (they want you to buy a licenses to use the
binary versions, even though the source is open).  though it does
work. grr..

I've posted to the pdflib yahoo group, so if I hear anything I'll pass it
along to you.  But if you have any idea how to wack some sense into the
configure/Makefiles please let me know.

aloha,
david

--- you wrote: -----
>Axpoint (axpoint.axkit.org) looks like a winner on the "how do I make
cool slides without Powerpoint" front, but it does not seem to be the
easiest perl module to install under Mac OS X 10.2, because of its various
dependencies on XML modules that depend in turn on other things... In
particular, you have to install libiconv, but when I did that
(libiconv-1.8, in case it matters), I was still getting unresolved symbols
errors from the module that wanted libiconv. And then there's the issue of
installing a (binary-only?) version of pdflib, although that's apparently
now a Fink package. [My issue with pdflib was that the install process on
Mac OS X seemed to consist of doing a sloppy copy without any package
management.] So the question is, does anybody have Axpoint running on
Jaguar, and if so, was there any magic involved beyond having iconv and
pdflib installed first? And, given that the newest version of CPAN (or
Bundle::CPAN) really, really wants you to upgrade to Perl 5.8.0, is the
cleanest and best way to do this just to get a solid (albeit nominally
unstable) Fink installation going first, get Perl 5.8.0 (and libiconv and
pdflib) running in the Fink world, and then try getting Axpoint and
friends to use that Perl? Thanks for any hints on this. I have installed
dozens and dozens of CPAN modules in the past under Linux, but Jaguar is
new to me and just different enough to be annoying for this kind of thing.
jking