On Thursday, Feb 6, 2003, at 09:54 US/Pacific, Mark Alldritt wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have an XS Perl module that I need to distribute in binary form as part of
a larger Mac OS X application. However, because I want to support Perl 5.6
and 5.8 and these two versions are not binary compatible, I'm looking for a
way to package 5.6 and 5.8 builds of my module. Can anyone offer any
suggestions on how to do this?
the simplest way is to have your source code build
under two different perl's - if you have the usual
Makefile.pl that would normally start with

	perl Makefile.pl
	make

then what you can do is generate your makefile with

	/usr/bin/perl5.6.1 Makefile.pl
	make

	do the voodoo for pulling out your 'binary only' set

then make it again with

	/usr/bin/perl5.8.0 Makefile.pl

	{ repeat here for the make of the binary only set }

Since it is identifying the 'perl' that is used when
spinning out the Makefile that is the important part.

You can also look at a trick we use, which is that
we have all of the perl modules in a separate place
and a 'common' architeture specific arch file that
we include into an upper level makefile that defines
which perl we are using to make the makefiles.

HTH

ciao
drieux

---