On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 11:41 AM, Rich Morin wrote:

At 11:20 AM -0700 7/2/03, David Wheeler wrote:
Might Apple consider seeding SourceForge with a copy of Panther to
install on server farm?

I see two problems with this idea. Neither of them is (necessarily) a show stopper, but they must be addressed:

  *  Having a copy on a server farm will only provide GUI-based access
     (e.g., to CB and Xcode) to folks that have physical access.  How
     useful would this be?

  *  Apple may be nervous about allowing large-scale access to the seed
     release (after all, if they wanted to make it freely available for
     download, they certainly know how to do that :-).

Can you flesh out your suggestion a bit, addressing these points?  If
we end up with a plausible suggestion, I know someone in Apple who may
be able to do something about it.

Yes, I'd have to agree with Rich that Apple would be hesitant about a Panther server farm with unrestricted access. But if a reasonably secure proposal can be made, I can try to sell it to the higher ups.

Edward Moy
Apple